- This event has passed.
Op Eagle Memorial Day Events
May 25, 2018 - May 31, 2018
Operation: Eagle Memorial Weekend Events
May 25 - May 31
Honor Our Fallen Native Veterans this Memorial Weekend
Join Veteran Service Corps members from all over the country for our Annual Operation: Eagle Memorial Weekend Event, May 25 to 31, 2018. This week of events includes honoring fallen native veterans from the Cheyenne River Reservation, cleaning up their grave-sites and cemeteries, and offering our gratitude to their families and friends gathered to remember their lives and their service. This service will take place on Wednesday, May 30th.
We invite you to join us by donating, raising support through social media, or attending the week of events.
Memorial Day is a time of remembrance of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country and its citizens. In partnership with the Cheyenne River Veterans Association and Victory for Veterans Foundation, Veteran Service Corps is seeking volunteers to join us in South Dakota to serve as honor guards and general support for the ceremonies taking place on the reservation.
This year the Cheyenne River Sioux Veterans and Veteran Service Corps are heading to the National Veterans Cemetery in Sturgis, SD to render honors to the fallen on Memorial Day May 28, 2018. We need volunteers to take part in this honor.
On May 30, 2018 the Reservation Honors will be rendered.
The reservation is the size of the state of Connecticut and covering that kind of ground takes time and people.
Last year, we had two honor guard units traveling to the over two dozen cemeteries on the reservation. It took over 17 hours to render honors at all of them.
This year, we need:
- four roving honor guard teams;
- working parties to clean up cemeteries and gravesites prior to ceremonies;
- volunteers eager to speak with family members, to identify veterans buried without proper grave markers so that issue may be rectified.
We need your help.
Choose the way you’d like to get involved:
- Donate to VSC to offset veteran travel and room and board to the Memorial Weekend Event: https://www.vscamerica.org/get-involved/donate/
- Donate to the Flower Fund which will allow us to put flowers on native graves.
- Sign up to raise support for VSC and the Memorial Weekend Event via our Facebook Page.
- Volunteer to join us as a member of the working party and honor guard.